Iowa State University Extension's Pest Management and the Environment (PME) program, in cooperation with the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship, provides training and certification programs for commercial applicators in Iowa. Pesticide use in Iowa is regulated under the "Pesticide Act of Iowa," Chapter 206 of the Code of Iowa. Commercial applicators are divided into categories. An applicator must be certified in each category he or she will be applying pesticides under. Several fall courses remain in 2005:
- Greenhouse and Ornamental Applicators--October 26 and 27, Categories 3G, 3O, 10
- Mosquito/Public Health Pest Management--October 27, Categories 7D, 8, 10
- Ornamental and Turfgrass Applicators--November 16,
- Categories 2, 3O, 3T, 3OT, 10
- Commercial Ag Weed, Insect, and Plant Disease Management--November 23, Categories 1A, 1B, 1C, 10
- Grain Fumigation--December 6, Categories 7C, 10
- Pest Control Operators--December 7, Categories 7A, 7B, 8, 10
- Aerial Applicators--Employers will be contacted when the program is available; Categories 10, 11.
Program-specific postcards will be sent to applicators certified in the various categories to notify them of upcoming programs. For more information about the courses or if you want to obtain a registration form, visit the PME website  or your local county extension office. If you have specific questions about registration, please contact Beth Minner at (515) 294-0397 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This article originally appeared on page 204 of the IC-494(24) -- October 10, 2005 issue.