LOGAN, IOWA—The Harrison County Herbicide Resistance Project will hold a field day Monday, June 18th. Join us from 9:30 am to 11:00 am at the corn test plot at the farm operated by Larry Meyer southwest of Modale to observe weed management field trials and learn about implications for resistance management. This event is free and open to the public. Refreshments will be provided.
Current and future management of waterhemp, marestail, giant ragweed, and Palmer amaranth is a concern for area farmers. Ten herbicide programs will be available for comparison to evaluate success and implications for resistance management. Results of screening of local weed populations for resistance to Roundup, Cobra, and Callisto will be shared.
Agenda for the field day will include:
- Introduction by Larry Buss, Harrison County Farmer and Iowa Corn Grower Association
- Discussion of test plot observations by Brent Weirsma, BASF, and John Swalwell, Asgrow/Dekalb
- Presentation of fall 2017 herbicide applications by Jason Sporrer, Agriland FS, and Matt Handbury, Heartland Coop
- Weed seed collection and resistance screening results by Mike Witt and Evan Sivesind, Iowa State University
- Palmer amaranth identification by Mike Witt, Iowa State University
This event will be held rain or shine. The field day will be held ¾ mile west of Austin Avenue (K45) on 280th St. In case of rain, the event will be held at the farm of Jason Buss, 800 S Main Street, on the east side of Austin Avenue, south of Modale. To confirm details, call the Harrison County Extension Office at 712-644-2105. While this field day is free and open to the whole family, your RSVP helps ensure adequate space and food. Please RSVP to Carter Oliver at firstname.lastname@example.org or 712-644-2105.
Watch for a corresponding Soybean Field Day scheduled for Friday, July 13th.
The Harrison County Herbicide Resistance Project is part of the Iowa Pest Resistance Management Program. The Harrison County project includes team members from Iowa Corn Growers Association, Agriland FS, BASF, Asgrow/Dekalb, Heartland Coop, FCSA Financial, Midstates Bank, USDA Farm Service Agency, Iowa Farm Bureau Federation, Iowa State University, and local farmers.
For more information about the field days, visit https://www.ipm.iastate.edu/weed-management-field-day-harrison-county-pilot